Η ΛΕΙΨΑΝΟΘΗΚΗ ΤΗΣ ΚΑΡΑΣ ΤΟΥ ΑΓΙΟΥ ΚΛΗΜΗ, ΑΡΧΙΕΠΙΣΚΟΠΟΥ ΑΧΡΙΔΑΣ ΑΠΟ ΤΗ ΜΟΝΗ ΤΟΥ ΤΙΜΙΟΥ ΠΡΟΔΡΟΜΟΥ (ΣΚΗΤΗ ΒΕΡΟΙΑΣ)
(The Reliquary of the Skull of Saint Clement, Archbishop of Ohrid from the Monastery of Holy Prodromos (Scete Veroias))
Abstract: The historic, patriarchal and stavropegic Holy monastery of Saint John Prodromos is located to the west of city Veroia. According to monastery regulations, the skull of saint Clement, Archbishop of Ohrid, was kept within its edifice in the year 1832. Inscriptions provide us with information regarding the names of the artist who made the octagonal external silver reliquary for the relic of saint Clement in 1818 and the name of the abbot who covered the expenses for the whole work. The skull reliquary of a head-like shape is made of silver, inlaid with gold and there is a moulded mask on its front side. This reliquary does not bear any inscriptions. Still, a number of artworks with similar characteristics found in the neighbouring regions, in addition to information from written sources, indicates that the skull reliquary was probably made in the city of Naoussa, in the late 18th century. There is a possibility that the exact manufacturing year of the skull reliquary was 1784, when the Orthodox Procession book (Acolouthia) of saint Clement was published in Venice.
Authors: Chatzoulis, Glykeria M.
Source: Konštatínove listy, 2016, vol. 9, number: 1, pages: 64-90 (PDF file)
Key words: POST-BYZANTINE PERIOD, VEROIA, NAOUSSA, MONASTERY OF SAINT JOHN PRODROMOS, GOLDSMITH, ECCLESIASTICAL SILVER, TECHNIQUE FILIGREE, RELIQUARY OF THE SKULL, SAINT CLEMENT, BISHOP OF OHRID (†916)